– did you know that the outline of what became the book ‘The Price of Salt’/’Carol’ was written in like two days? she sort of fell in love with a woman during a very brief interaction and went on to write about it. i told my therapist this the other day and she replied saying that when you feel passionate like that, you have to put something out in the world, or else you’ll go mad or sick. it made me think.
– you’ve mentioned something before about it. is this you telling me you’re starting your own novel?
– what? fuck. i’m no Patricia Highsmith. i wish.
– thank god that you’re not her, i don’t think she would want to be my friend. i’m just saying: you are carrying feelings still, you lived through something. what’s stopping you?
– i mean. you know how i am. i am usually more infatuated with the idea rather than putting into action. i’m a planner, not a doer. besides, i am writing about it, i’m just not writing a novel yet.
– yet? i knew it!
– jesus christ. if i do start, i will probably give up in two days. i don’t even know how to do those things.
– start by what you do best: the planning. also, you’re the most resilient quitter i know. and i know a lot of fucked up people.
– that’s the nicest passive-aggressive compliment i’ve ever got.
– we all have our talents.
– fuck you, honestly.